What’s a Sea Change?
Escaping the rat race to do what you love, in a place you love, with those you love
A Sea Change is all about discovering what’s important and changing your lifestyle to have more time, less stress, better life balance and create the life you want to live.
Sea Changing used to describe retirees moving to the coast or country, hobby farmers or people ‘opting out’ or downshifting.
Today, it’s all about swapping stress, frustration and boredom for life balance, fulfilment and happiness, however you choose to do it. The options now are limitless and thanks to technology, new careers, more choice and opportunities, a sea change is open to anyone who’s ready to change the way they live.
Your sea change could include:
- Sea Change – moving to a rural, coastal community to live by the sea
- Tree Change – escape to the country either on a farm, in a country town or thriving regional centre
- Lifestyle Change – changing how and where you live and work. Could include taking a career sabbatical, starting a new career or lifestyle business, retirement or any other life stage change.
- Moving overseas or returning to Australia finding the right place to live with a lifestyle that works for this stage of your life.
Demographers estimate that in a quest for better life balance:
- 350,000 Australians per year think and talk about making a sea change
- 20% will make it happen
- Of the 70,000 who make a sea change, 20% have major regrets and give it away – often termed as a ‘sea change failure’
- 80% are glad they made the change and only wish they’d done it sooner
- 25% workers are currently dissatisfied with their jobs
- 60% of workers plan to leave their jobs within the next two years
- the average person will pursue three to five new career opportunities and job changes throughout their life, with redundancy a rapidly increasing reality.
What do they all have in common? Most, like you, are want greater personal and professional fulfilment, stronger relationships, increased wellbeing, less stress, better life balance and more time to do what they love.
Who can make a Sea Change?
Formerly the domain of cashed up retirees or hippies, today it’s a realistic option for anybody! With many ways to make a sea change, it’s a real and achievable option for:
- Parents wanting a better place to raise their children
- Singles looking for new challenges
- Couples wanting to create a fulfilling life together
- Mid-life career changers fed up with the demands and frustrations of their current job
- Expats wanting to relocate after years of living overseas
- Business owners determined to have more time and better life balance
- Entrepreneurs wanting freedom to explore, travel and work from anywhere
- People who want to live in a small, like-minded, caring community
Failed Sea Changes – when it all goes wrong
Sadly, the media and backyard barbeques are full of ‘sea change failure’ stories, of people who gave it a go but it didn’t work out. Major life changes can be daunting and fraught with potential problems. The emotional, physical and financial consequences of ‘getting it wrong’ can last a lifetime. The most common reasons sea changes fail include:
- Lack of clarity about what you really want
- Inability to find the right location
- Lack of research and planning
- Unrealistic expectations
- Loneliness and inability to fit into a new community
- Poor financial planning
- Fear of the unfamiliar and unknown and inability to adapt
- Underestimating the physical and emotional impact of such a major lifestyle change.
Deciding to make a significant lifestyle change often comes with sleepless nights, fear and trepidation, mixed with excitement and expectation. There are many decisions to make and steps to take along the way and uncertainty, confusion and overwhelm are both common and normal. On top of that you have to keep the daily grind of your current life going, whilst preparing for your sea change.
Getting Your Sea Change Right
Fortunately it is possible to get it right, first time. Sea Change Success provides frequently updated, relevant information, useful sea change resources and individually tailored programs to take the risk, worry and unnecessary expense out of your lifestyle change.
Making a sea change is a great way to finally create the life you want, whatever that looks like for you. Imagine what you would do if you had less stress, more time, meaningful work and better life balance.
If you think a ‘sea change’ could be just what you’re looking for, contact Possibility to Reality today, blow away the excuses and discover how to get your sea change started.
Life is too short to be stuck in a rut – what are you waiting for?